On occasion, water damage is very easy to spot. Storms, floods, sewage backups, and burst pipes can all leave homes with inches or feet of standing water. However, water damage can be more subtle. It doesn’t always have to look like a rush of water.
Most homeowners will deal with minor leaks, but that doesn’t mean they are any less destructive. Unfortunately, these minor problems are harder to spot, so the damage can get worse without anyone even realizing it. Therefore, it’s crucial that homeowners know the signs of water damage so they can catch it before they need water damage restoration.
Signs of Water Damage on Walls
Most people don’t pay close attention to their walls, so sometimes it can take a while to notice water damage. What can start as just a tiny little crack in a wall can eventually turn into an expensive repair, so homeowners should always be on the lookout for the following signs of water damage on their walls:
- Soft Spots: If a wall is starting to sink inwards or outwards, it’s probably also soft to the touch. This indicates that it is highly saturated. Homeowners should use caution when pressing on it if they suspect water damage.
- Discoloration: Any kind of streaks or water rings are an indicator that water is leaking. The discoloration will usually be brown, but it could be light in color.
- Surface Damage: Cracks, bubbles, and flaking paint are all signs that water damage is occurring inside a wall. The saturation stretches the exterior of the wall and creates noticeable damage.
Signs of Water Damage on Flooring
Certain floors may show more water damage than others. Non-porous materials may have puddles that are easy to spot. However, porous flooring like hardwood will display the following signs instead:
Signs of Hidden or Hard-to-Spot Water Damage
Though water damage signs on your walls and floors can be difficult to spot, there are other signs that are even more subtle. In fact, hidden water damage is the most dangerous because it can go unnoticed for so long. Hopefully, the problem can be caught sooner if the homeowner knows to look out for:
- Mold: When there is hidden mold growing in a home, a person’s lungs may notice it before they do. Mold growth can be extremely dangerous to human health, especially when dealing with black mold. However, any sign of mold spores in the seams of floors and ceilings can also indicate a hidden problem.
- Water Bill Changes: There’s no need to worry when a water utility bill has gone down, but homeowners should definitely be concerned if it goes up by a drastic amount. Most people use the same amount of water each month, so if there are significant changes, it could indicate a leaking pipe.
- Musty Odors: A musty smell is more than just a nuisance. It’s usually a sign that there is too much moisture in your home. Instead of trying to cover up the odor, homeowners should find out where water is coming from.
Suspect Water Damage? Contact Your Local Water Damage Restoration in Hudson Valley
People who think their home might have water damage shouldn’t wait for it to worsen. Instead, they should contact a water damage specialist to inspect their Hudson Valley property.
Locals should reach out to First Call Restoration for honest and reliable service. Their fully certified crews are always ready to track down hidden water damage. They can also be contacted 24/7 for water damage emergencies. Call (845) 442-6714 to request them now.