The winter season is upon us and it’s a time to enjoy our time with friends and family. There should be nothing more important than keeping those we love safe. Fire safety is important all year round but in Winter, the risk of house fires and fire damage increases – with December and January being peak months.
Fire Damage Risks
Now is the time to practice fire safety awareness. Cooking is the leading cause of house fires causing about 50% of all total house fires. Most often they are caused by grease becoming overheated to the point that it combusts. included in cooking fires is grilling. Grills too close to the house or near a wood fence can cause a fire. Most cooking fires happen because the food was left unattended. It is best never to leave food unattended especially while cooking in oil or over an open flame.
Heating comes in at number two, causing 12% of all house fires. Space heaters should be kept away from drapes or fabrics and remember to never cover baseboard heaters with curtains either. Kerosene heaters can be especially dangerous if not watched because they can combust if faulty. Always follow the heater’s safety instructions, and never leave them running while unsupervised or in a place they may tip over such as near pets or children.
Electrical problems cause about 10% of house fires however they are usually the deadliest, causing 18% of house fire deaths. Typically, electrical fires start when a circuit shorts or a loose connection causes a spark that ignites building material. Because we cannot see the wires in our home, electrical fires that start in the attic and wall spread quickly before we even know there is a fire. Having properly installed electrical systems is important. If you have an older home, it’s a great idea to get your system looked at.
Candles cause an average of 8,000 fires per year. Of these 8,000, 60% were caused because the candle was left too close to combustible fabric. December is the most likely month for candle fires due to the Holiday season. To keep your family safe this holiday season, keep candles away from any type of fabric and keep the candle in a secure candle holder so that it does not tip over. Lastly, never let loose clothing or hair dangle over a candle, and do not light candles in a house where oxygen tanks are used. Battery-operated candles are a great and safe alternative.
Stay Safe This Winter
The best way to prevent a house fire is to be present and cautious. We never think things like this can happen to us, but they can be deadly when they do. As always, the First Call Restoration Family is here to take care of you and your family’s home if a house fire happens to you. We are a local fire damage restoration company you can trust. We wish you and your family health and safety this winter!